[kisoron-ml] JAIST Logic Seminar Series

Hajime Ishihara ishihara at jaist.ac.jp
Fri Nov 1 17:27:26 JST 2013

皆様

Imperial College London のRobert A. Kowalski 教授の講演を開催いたします。
どうぞふるってご参加ください。

問い合わせ先:
東条 敏
北陸先端科学技術大学院大学 情報科学研究科
e-mail: tojo at jaist.ac.jp

* JAIST Logic Seminar Series *

Date: Thursday 21 November, 2013, 15:10--16:40

Place: JAIST, Collaboration room 7 (I-56)
(Access: http://www.jaist.ac.jp/english/location/access.html)

Speaker: Robert A. Kowalski (Imperial College London)

Title: Towards a Logic-based Framework for Computing
(Joint work with Fariba Sadri)

Abstract:
In this talk, I present a logic-based, framework for Computing,
inspired by artificial intelligence, but scaled down for practical
database and programming applications. Computation in the framework is
viewed as the task of generating a sequence of state transitions, with
the purpose of making an agent’s goals all true. States are
represented by sets of atomic sentences (or facts), representing the
values of program variables, tuples in a coordination language, facts
in relational databases, or Herbrand models.
In the model-theoretic semantics of the framework, the
entire sequence of states and events is contained in a single
model-theoretic structure, by associating time stamps with facts and
events. But in the operational semantics, facts are updated
destructively, without time stamps. We show that the model generated
by destructive updates is identical to the model generated by
reasoning with facts containing time stamps. We also extend the model
with intentional predicates and composite event predicates defined by
logic programs containing conditions in first-order logic, which query
the current state.

Speaker's bio:
Professor Robert A. Kowalski (Emeritus Professor and Distinguished
Research Fellow) at Imperial College London.
Robert Kowalski studied at the University of Chicago, the University
of Bridgeport, Stanford University, the University of Warsaw, and the
University of Edinburgh, where he completed his PhD in 1970.
Kowalski has been an advisor to the UNDP Knowledge Based Systems
Project in India and to DFKI, the German Institute for Artificial
Intelligence. He co-ordinated the European Community Basic Research
Project, Compulog, and was the founder of the European Compulog
Network of Excellence. Since 2009, he has been an advisor to the
Department of Immunization, Vaccines and Biologicals, of the World
Health Organization in Geneva.
Kowalski is a Fellow of the Association for the Advancement of
Artificial Intelligence, the European Co-ordinating Committee for
Artificial Intelligence, and the Association for Computing Machinery.
He received the IJCAI (International Joint Conference of Artificial
Intelligence) award for Research Excellence in 2011.

--
Professor Hajime Ishihara
School of Information Science
ishihara at jaist.ac.jp