[logic-ml] Kobe Colloquium (talk by Sam Sanders)

Makoto Kikuchi mkikuchi at kobe-u.ac.jp
Wed Dec 29 16:29:24 JST 2010

Kobe Colloquium on Logic, Statistics and Informatics

以下の要領でコロクウィウムを開催します。

日時:2011年1月20日(木)15:30 〜
場所:神戸大学自然科学総合研究棟3号館4階421室(渕野グループプレゼンテーション室)
講演者:Sam Sanders(東北大学)
題目:A copy of several Reverse Mathematics

アブストラクト:

Reverse Mathematics (RM) is a program in the foundations of mathematics
initiated by Friedman ([1, 2]) and developed extensively by Simpson ([4]).
The aim of RM is to determine which minimal axioms prove theorems of
ordinary mathematics. The main theme of RM is that a theorem of ordinary
mathematics is either provable in RCA_0, or the theorem is equivalent to
either WKL_0, ACA_0, ATR_0 or Π^1_1-CA_0. This equivalence is proved
in RCA_0, the ‘base theory’ of RM. Moreover, each of these systems
corresponds to a well-known foundational program in mathematics.

Nonstandard Analysis has played an important role in RM ([3, 5]). We are
interested in RM where equality is replaced by the relation ≈, i.e. equality
up to infinitesimals. We obtain a ‘copy’ of the RM of WKL_0 and ACA_0 in
a weak system of Nonstandard Analysis. Surprisingly, the same system is
also a ‘copy’ of Constructive Reverse Mathematics. Our results have
applications in Physics, Theoretical Computer Science, and the Philosophy
of Science.