[logic-ml] JAIST Advanced Lecture Series (6)

Hiroakira Ono ono at jaist.ac.jp
Tue Feb 28 13:24:57 JST 2012

   JAIST先端レクチャー・シリーズ(第6回)の開
催について

 来る3月13日(火)に,下記の講演会を開催します。
ホットなトピックスに
ついての分かりやすい講演ですので,多数の皆様(特に学生の方)に参加
いただきたく,ご案内申し上げます。

               記

 1.日  時 平成24年3月13日
(火)15:00〜17:00

 2.場  所 JAIST 知識科学研究科 中講義室

 3.講演題目 “Ontology-Based Data Access and Constraint
         Satisfaction”
                  http://www.jaist.ac.jp/rcis/seminar/advanced/6

 4.講 演 者 Frank  Wolter 客員教授
       (リヴァプール大学 教授)

 5.担当教員 小野寛晰
              JAIST 先端融合領域研究院:     http://www.jaist.ac.jp/rcis/l
ogic-activities

We would like to inform you of the JAIST Advanced Lecture Series 6 by
a guest professor of JAIST as follows.

DATE:March 13, 2012 15:00-17:00
PLACE:JAIST    KS Lecture Hall
TITLE:“Ontology-Based Data Access and Constraint
Satisfaction”
       SPEAKER:Prof. Frank  Wolter
        (Univ. of Liverpool, Guest Professor of JAIST)

ABSTRACT:
In recent years, the use of ontologies to access instance data has
become increasingly popular. The general idea is that an ontology
provides a vocabulary or conceptual model for the application domain,
which can then be used as an interface for querying instance data and
to derive additional facts.
In this presentation, I will first introduce ontology-based data
access (OBDA). I will focus on ontologies given in description logics
or, equivalently, the web ontology language OWL. I will then establish
a very close link between OBDA and constraint satisfaction problems
with finite templates (CSP). Rather surprisingly, for the basic
description logic ALC (=modal logic) OBDA and CSP turn out to be
essentially equivalent. This result has a large number of consequences
for ALC and OBDA in general.
I will focus on the following non-uniform complexity problem: what is
the complexity of query answering for a fixed ontology? I will present
general conditions under which this problem is in PTime and,
respectively, coNP-hard. Using the CSP connection is shown that for
ALC there is a P/coNP dichotomy for conjunctive query answering if, and
only if, the famous, and still open, Feder/Vardi dichotomy conjecture
for CSP holds.
The talk is based on joint work with Carsten Lutz.