[logic-ml] The third「論数哲」(PhilLogMath) workshop

矢田部俊介 shunsuke.yatabe at aist.go.jp
Thu May 3 23:13:41 JST 2012

We will hold the 3rd 「論数哲」(PhilLogMath) workshop. Our aim is to
provide opportunities of detailed discussions among philosophers,
logicians, mathematicians and linguists.  We focus on theoretical and
computational linguistics this time. Everyone is welcome.

   website url:  http://researchmap.jp/jopmokbbr-21098/#_21098

   Date :  May 17 (Thu)

   Place:  Seiryo Kaikan (Nagata-cho, Tokyo)

http://metropolis.co.jp/listings/venues/type/stage-venue/seiryo-kaikan/

Time table

    10:00-13:00 "Author meets Critics" meeting on Takuro Onishi's Doctor thesis

    14:30-16:00 Daisuke Bekki (Ochanomizu University) and Hiroko Ozaki
(Ochanomizu University)
             "Sub-directional Combinatory Logic (SDCL) and Categorial Grammar"

    16:15-17:45 Chung-chieh Shan (Cornell Unversity/ Tsukuba University)
             "Interpreting generic statements in topological spaces"

    Two afternoon slots consists of 60 minutes talk and 30 minutes
discussion basically.
    Author meets Critics meeting is in Japanese, and two afternoon
talks are in English.

Abstracts:
*Daisuke Bekki and Hiroko Ozaki  "Sub-directional Combinatory Logic
(SDCL) and Categorial Grammar"
Sub-directional Combinatory Logic (SDCL) is a class of substructural
combinatory logic that distinguishes two types of implications (/ and
¥) as in Lambek calculus, which is intended to establish a
correspondence between combinatory categorial grammar (CCG) and logic.
 In this talk, we will introduce some of our recent developments
concerning SDCL, including the relation between extraction and the
deduction theorem (Ozaki and Bekki (2012)), and the application of
SDCL to normal form parsing (Ozaki(2012)).

*Chung-chieh Shan  "Interpreting generic statements in topological
spaces"  (joint work with Adam Bjorndahl and Will Starr at Cornell
University)
Generic statements, such as "lions have manes and give birth to live
young", are statements about kinds. But what are kinds, and what does
it take for a kind to satisfy a property that applies to members of
the kind? We claim that a kind is a topological space, a property is a
set of points in the space, and a property holds of a kind generically
iff the set of points is "large" in a topological (and qualitative)
sense. This "large" modality accounts for several inference patterns
of generic statements. However, it leaves open the issue of how the
space is constituted by cognition and updated in dialogue.

Workshop organizer (please replace [at] to @):
    Yuko Murakami
    Shunsuke Yatabe ( shunsuke.yatabe[at]aist.go.jp )
    Takuro Onishi ( takuro.onishi[at]gmail.com )