[logic-ml] JAIST Logic Seminar Series

Hajime Ishihara ishihara at jaist.ac.jp
Thu Aug 20 11:10:49 JST 2015

皆様

トリア大学のNorbert Mueller先生の講演のお知らせです。
どうぞふるってご参加ください。

問合せ先:
石原 哉
北陸先端科学技術大学院大学 情報科学研究科
e-mail: ishihara at jaist.ac.jp

* JAIST Logic Seminar Series *

* This seminar is held as a part of JSPS Core-to-Core Program,
A. Advanced Research Networks, and EU FP7 Marie Curie Actions
IRSES project COMPUTAL (http://computal.uni-trier.de/).

Date: Tuesday 25 August, 2015, 15:10-16:40

Place: JAIST, Collaboration room 6 (I-57g)
(Access: http://www.jaist.ac.jp/english/location/access.html)

Speaker: Norbert Mueller (University of Trier)

Title:  Real numbers and computers

Abstract:
Sometimes, people think that computers could compute correctly.
Unfortunately,
this is not true in general: Overflows, underflows, rounding errors and
truncation errors can lead to grossly wrong results, even if the used
algorithm is implemented with care. This can often be traced down to use of
"double precision numbers" as a replacement for the "real numbers".

In the talk we present how a computer can compute more precisely or even
"exact", just using basic concepts of object-oriented programming.
Additionally, we present some of the basic ideas that are used to get an
efficient implementation of exact real arithmetic.