[logic-ml] JAIST Logic Seminar Series (Thursday, 7th July 2016, 15:30-17:00, Ren-June Wang)

Katsuhiko Sano katsuhiko.sano at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 20:59:52 JST 2016

皆様

台湾 National Chung Cheng University のRen-June Wangさんの講演会のお知らせです。
どうぞふるってご参加ください。

問合せ先:
佐野勝彦
北陸先端科学技術大学院大学 情報科学系
e-mail: v-sano at jaist.ac.jp

* JAIST Logic Seminar Series *

Date: Thursday, 7th July 2016, 15:30-17:00

Place: JAIST, IS school collaboration room 7, 5F
(Access: http://www.jaist.ac.jp/english/top/access/index.html)

Speaker: Ren-June Wang (Department of Philosophy, National Chung Cheng
University)

Title: Logical Omniscience and Deductive Rationality

Abstract: Epistemic logic as an important tool for reasoning about an
intellectual agent’s epistemic states has long suffered from the
so-called logical omniscience problem since the beginning of its
introduction. The problem indicates an idealized assumption on the
part of the agent presented by a formalism of such kind. Although
alternative epistemic formalisms have been proposed for dealing with
the problem, there is no sight of that the problem is settled. Thus in
this talk I will try my hand firstly to give an analysis of the
problem, hopefully to pin down the source of the problem, and
accordingly provide an advice as to what is the right direction of
solving the problem. At the end of the talk I will suggest that what
we need is not a formalism with a machinery that can limit what is
known by the agent, but one with more powerful expressivity such that
the resource that an agent will consume in the course of his/her
reasoning, such as the temporal duration, can be explicitly stated.

--
Katsuhiko Sano

School of Information Science
Japan Advanced Institute of Science and Technology
IS building No.1 7F, 1-1 Asahidai,
Nomi, Ishikawa, 923-1292, Japan