[logic-ml] ERATO Project Seminar by Mirai Ikebuchi (9:30 - 11:00 on Wednesday 7 Apr)

Shinya KATSUMATA s-katsumata at nii.ac.jp
Tue Mar 30 23:31:46 JST 2021

Dear all,

On Wednesday 7 Apr, Mirai Ikebuchi (Massachusetts Institute of Technology) will give a talk, Homological Methods in Rewriting, for our seminar during 9:30 - 11:00. Further details can be found below.

If you would like to attend, please register through the following Google form:
https://forms.gle/6PoGNEfJVHLYDAdKA

Shin-ya Katsumata
-------
Wednesday 7 Apr, 9:30 - 11:00

Speaker: Mirai Ikebuchi (Massachusetts Institute of Technology)
Title:
Homological Methods in Rewriting

Abstract:
It is well-known that some equational theories such as groups or boolean algebras can be defined by fewer equational axioms than the original axioms. However, it is not easy to determine if a given set of axioms is the smallest or not. In this talk, we will see a way to find a lower bound of the number of axioms. The inequality that gives the lower bound is obtained by analyzing the algebraic structure, called the homology group, associated with the given equational theory. I will explain how equational theories and rewriting systems relate to abstract algebra, what homology groups in general settings are like, and what the homology groups of equational theories give us. Also, a connection to E-unification will be given.