[logic-ml] Talk by Amar Hadzihasanovic (07 Dec 11.00-)

Kazushige TERUI terui at kurims.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Wed Dec 6 07:10:02 JST 2017

皆様

直前のご案内で申し訳ありません。
明日京都大学にて、新しくポスドクとして来られた
Amar Hadzihasanovicさんによる講演があります。
どうぞお気軽にお越しください。

==========
Time:    11:00-12:00, 07 Dec, 2017
Place:    Rm 478, Research Building 2, Main Campus, Kyoto University
    京都大学 本部構内 総合研究2号館 4階478号室
    http://www.kyoto-u.ac.jp/en/access/yoshida/main.html (Building 34)

Speaker: Amar Hadzihasanovic (RIMS, Kyoto University)

Title: Units without degeneracies, from higher categories to sequent calculi

In a polycategory or multicategory, the existence of poly-cells or
multi-cells satisfying certain universal properties induces coherent
algebraic structures on the category of single-input, single-output
cells (Cockett-Seely 1997, Hermida 2000). This was used by Hermida to
produce an abstract proof of the strictification theorem for monoidal
categories, and more generally bicategories. While the basic strategy
seems generalisable, by a result by C. Simpson in 1998, no full
strictification is possible for higher-dimensional categories.
This seems to be due to problems with the combinatorics of cells with
degenerate boundaries, that is, “0-ary” inputs or outputs, which were
previously used to obtain units. We show that it is possible to obtain
coherent units without degenerate boundaries, by deriving them from
“equivalence” cells which satisfy lower-dimensional universal
properties. This leads to a weaker semi-strictification theorem,
which, however, we hope to generalise to arbitrary dimensions.
Since the work of Cockett and Seely on linearly distributive
categories, it is known that there is a deep connection between
universal properties of cells in polycategories, and the rules of
sequent calculi; in this context, units are also notorious for
increasing the complexity of proof equivalence. In the last part of
this talk, we pose some questions on the logical and computational
aspects of our notion of unit, and the non-degeneracy constraint.

Kazushige TERUI
Research Institute for Mathematical Sciences,
Kyoto University.
Kitashirakawa Oiwakecho, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto 606-8502, JAPAN.
Phone: +81-75-753-7235
Fax: +81-75-753-7276
terui at kurims.kyoto-u.ac.jp
http://www.kurims.kyoto-u.ac.jp/~terui/